This is Julian's blog, featuring news about Tecnologias en Desarrollo, South America and quite possibly the odd mention of Arsenal FC...

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Bikefest Bolivia Style

Sunday was officially "The Day of the Pedestrian", though it should be more accurately called cyclists`s day. Cochabamba was closed off to all fuel powered vehicles and the normally sleepy Sunday atmosphere was banished as the city came alive with hundreds of people out on their bikes (and the occasional horse). There were also lots of stalls and a stage with music, it is Cochabamba`s equivalent of a Green Fair.

In general I do not recommend cycling as a mode of transport here. I do not have the courage to venture out on a bike in the city, it is not so much that drivers do not obey traffic rules, more that there aren`t any rules. I have already witnessed the aftermath of three accidents in 6 weeks. Maybe we can copy Bolivia`s example and close off the streets of central London for a day, though I can`t see it happening. Bolivia is more advanced in some things.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow ! Talk about Spam. I'm almost afraid to leave a post. I saw your site when I was looking for ideas for mine which is,Digital Cameras, and it naturally covers topics like, 1stop camera digital , I hope it's not too confusing. Take a look if you get time ---Jack---

9:55 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home