This is Julian's blog, featuring news about Tecnologias en Desarrollo, South America and quite possibly the odd mention of Arsenal FC...

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Second week perdito

I lost most of the second week to stomach problems, which was really frustrating. Luckily there are two doctors in Oliver´s family which is always helpful (though I did not require the services of the neurologist).

This means that I am really only getting down to work this week. I have seen a number of projects and attended a meeting of a milk co-operative in Punata. I am not sure who was more fascinated by whom. I did not say anything!

I am very impressed with the biogas technology that Tecnologias en Desarrollo has been pioneering in Bolivia. The project focuses on installing biogenerators and toilets/showers in rural and urban fringe communities. The biogenerators provide biogas for cooking, heating and light, and just as importantly get rid of problem of animal and human waste as the gas, if you were not aware, is generated from these products. Other benefits apart from gas, include the production of a high quality biofertiliser as a by-product of the biodigestive process that can be used on crops and importantly women and children do not have to search for wood to burn for cooking or spend the little money they have on alternative energy. Also burning wood in enclosed spaces causes lots of respiratory problems.



Interestingly, Oliver always seeks out the women if he wants to get anything done. The male attitude is very laid back and they are somewhat reluctant to commit themselves to anything - even if it is for their benefit. It seems that if we can get the wife/mother on board, things will happen. Just like England really.

My week is split between the office (3 days) and countryside (2 days). Officially I am an engineer. The concept of fundraising is not quite as well established here and it is probably better that I do not tell everyone I am here to find money.

The charity´s website should also be available in English and French very soon!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home