This is Julian's blog, featuring news about Tecnologias en Desarrollo, South America and quite possibly the odd mention of Arsenal FC...

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Touch down

I arrived in Santa Cruz just over two weeks ago and got to Cochambamba via a 10 hour bus ride through the notorious - well, according to the US Government at least - Chapare coca growing region on a tuesday night. My arrival was slightly complicated as there was a public transport strike and the workers had blocked the main roads with their colectivos and micros so we could not get to the main bus terminal and were dropped off on a side street in a quiet residencial district.

Well, it would have been quiet if it were not for about 10 coach loads of confused travellers. As a Bolivia veteran (!) I remained calm, found a phone to get hold of Oliver, the director of the charity, and helped a group of distraught non-Spanish speakers.

My first week was not surprisingly spent mainly with my boss and mentor Oliver, his family (his mother has adopted me) and colleague Pedro (that´s Oliver and Pedro in the photo).


So far only other people I know are as a result of the tenuous contact through an Italian friend (thanks Andrea!).

I have a two bedroom flat for 60 pounds a month, a balcony from where you can see Christ (it´s Cochabamba´s clame to fame, he is bigger than the one in Rio) and in walking distance of the footie stadium, obviously the major selling point from my point of view. Guests most welcome!

Also, if this is winter, I am not sure how I will cope with summer. According to the newspaper, the temperature fluctuates between out 25-30 degrees but it feels much hotter to me when I am out working in the countryside. At night goes down to about 5 degrees, almost a relief. Still I could be in La Paz, it really is winter there, so I promise I am not complaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home