This is Julian's blog, featuring news about Tecnologias en Desarrollo, South America and quite possibly the odd mention of Arsenal FC...

Friday, September 02, 2005

Wilstermann Destroy Opposition


My first experience of Bolivian football left me feeling a bit deflated. A boring 0-0 draw against The "allegedly" Strongest from La Paz. It was not quite like watching Brazil (or Arsenal). Luckily my second visit a week later was much more enjoyable. My boss`s and hence my team Wilstermann beat the Destroyers (not) from Santa Cruz 5-2. A certain M.Henry would even have been proud of the 5th goal. I am not going to compare the atmosphere to Highbury, the stadium was only about a quarter full and when Wilstermann scored the first, I was the only one to jump to my feet with joy. I quickly learnt to restrain myself for the next four goals. And the English are meant to be reserved! The ticket pricing was more to my liking, it costs approximately 50 times LESS than a matchday ticket for the Gunners.

My company for the match included the brother of an ex-colleague from Groundwork. Nick lives in La Paz and volunteers for the Fundacion Solon. He is a Wolves fan, and while I count the number of Arsenal shirts I see in Cochabamba, he just wants to find someone who has heard of his team. His excellent blog is linked to this site.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julian,

Good to see the photo of the match and catch up with your news. Bike day in La Paz would probably just lead to lots of cardiac arrests from trying to cycle at altitude.

May well be in Cochabamba later this week on my way back from putting a documentary together in Trinidad which looks like it will be really interesting. Anyway more later. Hope your on your way to beating the bugs... Nick

12:45 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home